Saturday, August 29, 2009

Honey, Adopted 8/20/09



After we had Honey for 2 weeks, I was contacted by the adoption coordinator, letting me know there was a potential adopter interested in Honey. Just an hour later, I got an email from them, with several questions about Honey. We answered them as best we could and their response was that she sounded perfect. We agreed that they would come and meet her that Thursday evening.




I was nervous for Thursday evening. Honey is such a great dog, and I wanted her to have the perfect family. They arrived Thursday and Honey warmed up to them immediately, as if she knew they were here to see her. They got to visit with Honey alone and also got to see her play with Gabe and Sam. They left an hour later, wishing they could take her home that evening.



I was in frequent contact with them after that, as they went through the home visit and the adoption contract. On the following Tuesday morning I got notification that they were officially approved to adopt her, and I could release Honey to them at any time. We arranged that they would pick her up in two days, after her crate arrived and everything was perfect.



The evening before Honey was to be adopted, I cried. She was my first foster dog, and I really grew to love her. She was such a sweet dog and if we didn't already have two dogs, we may have considered adopting her. Three dogs is a lot, though. And more importantly, if we had adopted a third dog, we would no longer be able to foster. I had never let go of a dog before; the only time I had to say good-bye and face the fact that I would never see her again was when Lady died. This was similar is some respects but I had to remind myself constantly that Honey would be in good hands in her new home, and her adoption would free up a space to save another dog's life. I had recently spoken with Honey and Sam's foster mom in Tennessee and she told me that she cried until it hurt when adopting out her first foster, but then made herself a rule that she would only cry for those she couldn't save. I liked that rule and have promised myself that I will remember it again in the future.



I did well the day of her adoption. That morning we went for our last walk together, just her and I, and when I came home after work she wriggled in the grass more than usual and I rubbed her belly for a long time. We took a bunch of pictures of all of us for our new foster dog album, and we got to spend some quality time together. Her new family arrived shortly after and she was so happy to see them. She was a little bouncy, as if she knew they were back to visit her, and then she just sat calmly and let them shower her with rubs and love.



When it came time for the ride home, one of the adopters sat in back with Honey, and right then I knew that it was a perfect match. How exciting to have her own person in the backseat with her! We said our goodbyes and wished them well and off they went. Just before they were out of sight I caught a glimpse of Honey's ears out the back window and I burst into tears again, knowing that this would probably be the last time I would ever see her. Gabey came to my rescue, licking up the tears, and the four of us went for a walk, just like how it used to be.



Maybe someday I will be lucky enough to run into Honey somewhere, or maybe we'll meet at a dog event. Better yet, maybe they'll come to a meet and greet today in hopes of adopting a buddy for her! Either way, she is their dog now and she is in good hands. I will miss her always and she will have a special place in my heart as my first foster. I have been lucky enough that the adopters have provided me with a few pictures and updates, and I hope she lives a long and happy life with them. Honey almost died twice, and deserves every bit of this happiness.


Honey with her new family

No comments:

Post a Comment