Monday, April 26, 2010

Connor, Adopted 4/15/10

A few days after the meet and greet, I received an application for Connor that did not work out. I was so sad for him, but optimistic that others would come in, and even if it took a few weeks, I knew he would shine at the next event. Shortly afterward, I received another application for him, and it was a good one! I found myself feeling the usual mix of conflicting emotions: happy for Connor but sad for myself. I put that aside, however, and proceeded to work the application.

The phone interview went well and the applicants seemed very excited to meet Connor. We arranged that they would come to meet him on the following Sunday afternoon. When they arrived, Connor was a gentleman. Of the three dogs, he was the only one that didn't bark, and he greeted them happily at the door. They spent about an hour at our house that afternoon. They brought him a treat, asked some questions, and ran around the yard together. Connor seemed at ease in their presence and was his usual goofy, long-legged self. He demonstrated his pony-like trot around the backyard and really showed off for his potential new family. They, like us, were surprised at just how big he was. Seventy pounds gives a good idea of his weight but indicates nothing of his substantial height. I was momentarily concerned that his size would affect their decision of whether or not they wanted to go forward with the adoption but by the end of the visit they said they absolutely wanted to.

After they left Connor seemed a bit mopey. I suppose he just could have been tired since he must have expended a lot of energy showing off as much as he did, but I really think he was sad. It didn't last very long though, and soon they were all frolicking around the yard while I arranged a home visit for the applicants.

Because they were moving into their new home in a few weeks and Connor had no other applications, I agreed that I would hold him until they moved into their new place. It really seemed like a good match, I liked them a lot, and Connor was such an easy, good-natured foster that I didn't mind having him awhile longer. As the days passed and the home visit went well and we all prepared for his adoption I began to feel really sad, but grateful that we had the extra time together. It's hard not to have favorites and I really don't know if I could pinpoint just one of our fosters for the honor but it really seems as if each dog seems to steal our hearts more than the last. But then I remember our first foster, Honey, and how I cried when she left, and then I realize that it's not true. I think we're just becoming more comfortable with the process each time we receive and adopt out a foster and it's becoming easier to enjoy the dogs without stressing over letting them go.

The Thursday evening of Connor's adoption finally arrived and I was feeling much better about it than I had the day before. Once the adopters walked in the door and all of the dogs mauled them with greetings, I knew I had made the right choice. I gave Connor a hug and told him to be good and sent him on his way. He walked out the door and hopped into their car without a glance back. It was a good sign, and I was ready to let go. We had taken our pictures with him the night before and I made sure to "dance" with him one last time. Connor was about to begin his new life, the one this Great Dog so deserves, and it was time for us to continue our fostering journey.

I got an update from Connor's new family the next day, saying that he was doing great and making sure they were getting enough exercise. I'm sure that he loves his new home and the fact that he has two people to lap up attention from without having to share it with anyone else! Sam and Connor had become very playful over the last several weeks and the house was its usual quiet with only he and Gabe. Little do they know that Penelope will be arriving on April 30th. As for Alan and I, we will be enjoying the quiet, easy environment until she arrives, at which time all of the fun will begin again!

Long legs!

Dancing with Alan.

Sleeping on the cool kitchen floor.

The evening before our parting.

Long nose.

 
Toy destroyer!

Mopey.

Connor at rest.

Wiggly...

With his new family!

1 comment:

  1. We are so happy to have Connor! He is a good, tall boy.

    ReplyDelete